The Western Cape Branch of LIASA is calling for nominations for the 2006 Branch Award.
The LIASA Western Cape Branch Award recognizes an individual librarian or library team from any library (public, school, academic or special library) who has demonstrated exceptional creativity and resourcefulness in marketing, promoting and advocating for a single library or libraries in the Western Cape.
There are innovative and imaginative programmes, projects and events happening across the Western Cape in all our libraries. This award is aimed at recognizing and honouring the librarians for their creativity in promoting, marketing and advocating in their libraries through these activities.
So regardless of the size or type of library you are in, if your library has had a special programme or project or event in the past year, where you have made a different, raised the profile of your library – we want to hear about it!
What type of programmes or projects would be considered?
We are looking for programmes or projects which include the promotion and expansion or outreach of library services to the community where it did not exist before or in response to community needs. These could include:-
- support for educational programmes
- library programmes including promotion of library resources
- literacy, literature and reading programmes
- community outreach
- building or strengthening of local political, fiscal and public support
All nominations will be evaluated on the following criteria:-
- how innovative and imaginative the marketing was
- the obstacles and challenges faced, the partnerships developed
- how creatively resources were used
- the results obtained (outcomes)
- how the library is using these results
Only programmes or projects carried out from January to December 2005 are eligible.
Who may be nominated?
If an individual librarian is nominated, he/she should be a current paid-up (2006) individual LIASA member. In the case of a library team being nominated, at least one member of the library team should be a current paid-up(2006) individual member.
Who may nominate?
Current paid-up (2006) Western Cape individual members may nominated individuals or library teams. Each entry must be accompanied by a written motivation from the nominator.
The judging panel will comprise the Chair of the Western Cape Branch of LIASA; the Public Relations Officer of the Western Cape Branch of LIASA; the convenor or a representative from each of the following Western Cape interest groups:- the Public and Community Libraries (PACLIG); Special Libraries (LiSLIG), Higher Education (WCHELIG) and School Libraries and Youth Services (SLYSIG); Rheina Epstein, donor; and an independent marketing specialist.
The decision of the judging panel is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
What do you need to do to enter?
- You must be a current paid-up (2006) member of LIASA or at least one member of your team needs to a current paid-up member.
- You or your library team must be nominated by a current paid-up (2006) member of LIASA. Each nomination must be accompanied by a written motivation.
- Only programmes or projects carried out from January to December 2005 are eligible.
- Together with the proposer’s written motivation, you need to submit a portfolio which includes:-
- A written description of the programme expanding on the planning and execution, obstacles and challenges faced, the resources used and the results obtained
- Statistical information about the library, including the community served, circulation figures and staffing must be included as this will be helpful in giving context to the written submission
- Supporting material such as brochures, testimonials, press clippings, flyers and photographs should be included to substantiate the nomination. (These will not be returned as they will be used in other advocacy or marketing activities by the Branch and relevant interest groups.)
- The individual or representative of the team that has been nominated should be
Nomination forms for the 2006 LIASA Western Cape Branch Award will be made available via the branch website at http://www.liasa.org.za/branches/wcape.php or through the Western Cape branch newsletter or via the branch blog at http://www.westerncapeliasa.blogspot.com or from any branch or branch interest group committee members.
All nominations and supporting material must be received by 18 September 2006.
Announcement of Winner
Short-listed candidates will be invited to attend the branch’s end-of-the-year Showcase event where the winner of the 2006 LIASA Western Cape Branch Award will be announced. (In the case of a team, a representative will be invited to the function.)
Need more info? Contact the current branch Chair, Naomi Haasbroek at (021) 843 1259 or Naomi@tlabs.ac.za or current branch PRO, Ingrid Thomson at (021) 650 3703 or Ingrid@uctlib.uct.ac.za