Monday, June 08, 2009

Family History/Genealogy Presentation forLibraries

Do these sound like familiar questions across the reference desk?

"I want to do some research on my family. Where do I start?"
"My child needs to do some research on our family for a history project."
"I''ve been watching that new TV series called "Who do you think you are?" * where Nthati Moshesh (from Scandal!) traced her family history. I want to do the same."

* aired on SABC2 at 9 pm starting Sunday 31st May, shows SA celebrities tracing their roots. For more info http://www.ancestry24.co.za/DailyTopic2.aspx?Article=153

Heather McAlister of Ancestry24 and Sandy Shell, Head of the African Studies Library at UCT will be talking to library staff about family history research, how to go about it, and what to advise our patrons on how and where to find the information they need.

When: Wednesday 10th June 2009
Time: 11 am (Tea from 10.30 am)
Venue: Central Library, Cape Town

Costs: R20 for LIASA members; R50 for non-LIASA members

RSVP: Bronwen Abrahams on 21 397 3175/6 or via email Bronwen.abrahams@capetown.gov.za.
by Monday 8th June 2009.

No comments: