Library & Information Service
Director: Information Technology & Communication
The US Library & Information Service consists of the JS Gericke Library, the central library, plus five branch libraries, as well as a few departmental collections. The Library & Information Service strives to be a dynamic leader on national and international level in the academic library environment. In order to achieve this, it is imperative for the Library & Information Service to render a wide spectrum of client-centered services, to have skilled and motivated staff as well as world-class technological facilities and relevant resources at its disposal, to develop excellent collections in all available formats that meet the needs of the University, and to increase its visibility by making clients aware of available services for the improved utilization of these services.
Duties: Overall responsibility for leading and managing Information Technology Services & Communication for the Library & Information Service
• managing and co-coordinating quality assurance activities
• developing, managing and implementing effective marketing and communication strategies for the Library & Information Service
• performing general management functions, such as human resources and project management
• communicating and liaising with relevant role-players on regional, national and international level
• strategic planning and development in line with the objectives of the University and those of the Library & Information Service Division.
Requirements: Advanced relevant postgraduate qualifications in Library & Information Science, or equivalent
• a minimum of eight years’ experience at middle-management level, preferably in an academic library
• advanced knowledge of information technology management and other related tasks in libraries
• high-level computer proficiency with regard to general and library applications
• strategic planning skills
• ability to communicate in English and Afrikaans, or if necessary, acquiring such skills within a reasonable period of time
• dynamic leadership in a rapidly changing environment
• ability to function at senior management level
• ability to work effectively in a team context
• excellent interpersonal skills.
• Experience in marketing and communication
• exposure to and knowledge of new trends in library and information services world-wide
• knowledge and understanding of trends within the Higher Education Sector in South Africa
• experience with successful implementation and management of projects within an organisation.
Commencement of duties: 1 March 2008
Closing date: 20 December 2007
Enquiries: Ms E.R. Tise on 021 808 4880
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
A competitive remuneration package and excellent service benefits are attached to the position. For further details, contact 021 808 4829.
Your full application, comprising
(1) a completed application form (obtainable by contacting 021 808 4542 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or on our homepage at
(2) a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and contact details of at least two referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Forward your application to The Manager: Personnel Provisioning & Planning,
Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland, 7602 or fax 021 808 2484
or via e-mail to email@example.com
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.