Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Librarian of the Year

Busi Dlamini Awards Committee Chair recently wrote: “It is that time of year again in the calendar of LIASA that we want to celebrate our own intelligent, committees and excellent librarians that have made a difference in the LIS profession.” Busi is talking about the LIASA Librarian of the Year Award 2008.

As the current Librarian of the Year 2007 I want to encourage the LIASA branches to nominate people. Be the bigger person and nominate your colleagues, so many opportunities are often missed because people to not permit others to shine.

I would like to share with you what my nomination meant for my career. I was so thrilled to be nominated, excited to be the North West Branch Librarian of the Year and ecstatic to be chosen as the LIASA/SABINET 2007 Librarian of the Year.

The award opened doors for me. I am currently employed as an Information Facilitator at a Primary School. Our school recently received a donation to build a brand new Media Centre. The sponsors mentioned that they feel that their investment is secure in the hands of the Librarian of the Year! Their sponsorship will change my working
environment in the same positive way the Award changed me.

In two weeks time I am leaving for the American Library Association Conference in Anaheim California (yes Disney World!). I am using my Award winnings to fund this once in a life time opportunity. I hope to rub shoulders with Librarians and Teacher Librarians from all over the world and to bring back many ideas on how to improve our LIS service. I will write a full report on my return. In the meanwhile – nominate that special librarian in your province!


René Schoombee

Besoek ons webwerf: www.laerskoolrustenburg.co.za
René Schoombee
Inligtingsfasiliteerder
Laerskool Rustenburg
Posbus 577
Rustenburg
0300
* 014 5920528/9
* 014 5928014
* 0829409957

No comments: