To all who expressed interest in our proposed part-time BBibl to start
The good news is that we have received over 20 expressions of interest and so can safely proceed. So please now apply formally using the online form on the University of the Western Capes website. Make it clear that you are applying for the part-time programme. You will then be sent a letter of acceptance. Please look out for an email inviting you to a meeting at the end of January 2008 at registration time when we will welcome you & sort out class times. Please note:
* In 2008 we begin with BBibl I and will move on to BBibl II in 2009- and, so on. We cannot cater for those of you who might qualify to enter later years in 2008.
* Your programme in 2008 will comprise at least Library Science 111 in Semester 1 and Library Science 121 in Semester 2 . Each involves 2 lectures per week. You also should enroll for one or two BA subjects, each usually requiring 2 classes per week.
* LS 121 includes a series of computer literacy tuts. But if you are competent in MSWindows & its three applications, wordprocessing, spreadsheets and databases, then you might want to apply to be tested for exemption from these tuts. We will inform you how to go about this in the course of the year.
* Lectures are normally held between 5.30 and 8.30 pm. But we are open to your suggestions. If the majority of you prefer an early morning slot then we could manage that.
* In 2009 we probably will be introducing a new BLIS degree.
The courses you will do in 2008 will count towards this fresh new degree. And you will be transferred into the new degree.
Dr Gavin Davis is the coordinator of the part-time programme so please feel free to contact him for more information or for help with applying.
His email address is email@example.com or phone him 021 959 3546/2137.
Best wishes to you all. I look forward to seeing you all at our
meeting in late January.
Associate Professor / Chairperson
Dept of Library & Information Science
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17
Bellville South Africa 7535
(27 21) 959-3623 / 2137 (w)
(27 21) 788-5827 (h)
fax (27 21) 959-3659